Democrats for Equality,
I want to thank everyone for helping to make our brunch last weekend an incredible success!
Big shout out to our amazing event host Susan Guinn, our VP for Political Action, for allowing us to use her home.
This was our club’s first fundraiser as your new Club President, and we set out what I thought was an attainable fundraising goal of $2,500. With about 60 people in attendance, we were able to bring in at least $4,000 for our brunch!
We’ll probably have a smidge more once everything is fully accounted for, in large part to our incredible host committee and our club members.
I could not be more thankful for the incredible turnout. Happy tears all around!
All culminating in a simple group photo that, at first glance doesn’t catch one’s eye — but a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
Toni Atkins… Todd Gloria… Georgette Gomez… Dr. Jen Campbell…Chris Ward… Cori Schumacher… Steve Padilla… Joe Mosca… Craig Milgrim… Will Rodriguez-Kennedy… all posed for a photo. Representing from the state legislature, to city councils, to community college boards, and party leadership.
This is what we can, proudly, show the world as a result of the work our club has done over the years. SAN DIEGO has more LGBTQ elected officials than San Francisco, and that picture is probably worth 1,000 words of just how outstanding an accomplishment that is.
Speaking of fundraisers… we can start looking forward to our Pre-Pride event, so please SAVE THE DATE for Thursday, July 11 from 6:30pm to 8:00pm at FruitCraft in Hillcrest.
Allow us a little bit of time, and we’ll start getting our event pages setup for that.
At our last meeting, we adopted a bylaw change to include Area Representatives onto our club’s Executive Board. This change fulfills an opportunity to diversify, and fully reflect representation from across San Diego County.
As our LGBT community’s political influence has grown from outside of just Central San Diego, we can now ensure that voices from North County, South County, and East County have a seat at the table.
This means we will be holding elections for these 4 new positions at our next club meeting on Thursday, May 16.
These four new Area Representative positions are:
- North Area Representative
- South Area Representative
- East Area Representative
- Metro West Area Representative
Aside from being a club member in good standing, you must live or reside in the respective area you wish to represent. Area Representatives shall provide assistance, guidance, and input to the club’s Executive Board regarding the club’s affairs, events, and meetings, as necessary.
(Ryan, what are the boundaries!?)
Great question! The area boundaries are specified in the San Diego County Democratic Party’s Policies & Procedures on page 13, Section VII regarding Areas and Caucuses.
Although, since you asked so nicely… here are the boundaries below by zipcodes:
- The North Area includes 92003, 92007, 92008, 92009, 92010, 92011, 92014, 92024, 92025, 92026, 92027, 92028, 92029, 92054, 92055, 92056, 92057, 92058, 92059, 92060, 92061, 92064, 92067, 92069, 92075, 92078, 92081, 92082, 92083, 92084, 92091, 92096, 92127, 92128, 92129, 92130, 92672
- The South Area includes 91902, 91910, 91911, 91913, 91914, 91915, 91932, 91950, 92113, 92114, 92118, 92135, 92136, 92139, 92154, 92155, 92173
- The East Area includes 91901, 91905, 91906, 91916, 91917, 91931, 91934, 91935, 91941, 91942, 91945, 91948, 91962, 91963, 91977, 91978, 91980, 92004, 92019, 92020, 92021, 92036, 92040, 92065, 92066, 92070, 92071, 92086
- The Metro West Area includes 92037, 92038, 92092, 92093, 92101, 92102, 92103, 92104, 92105, 92106, 92107, 92108, 92109, 92110, 92111, 92115, 92116, 92117, 92119, 92120, 92121, 92122, 92123, 92124, 92126, 92131, 92134, 92140, 92145, 92147
Also, we have a vacancy for an At-Large Board Member. Again, you must be a club member in good standing to apply.
If you are interested, or know a club member who may be interested, or have any questions about running for these positions, please e-mail me at email@example.com.
Finally, aside from our endorsement considerations at our next meeting, we will also hear presentations on two legislative bills that we have been asked to take positions on:
- SB 132, from Senator Scott Weiner ensures that transgender people in custody have equal rights and protections and to help protect the human dignity and safety of all people in custody, and
- SB 528, from Senator Ben Hueso would give local governments, through expansion of the I-Bank, a low interest infrastructure loan option beyond what they are currently getting from large commercial banks.
Be sure to save the date for the meeting! Happy elections!
San Diego Democrats for Equality