Democrats for Equality,
It is really easy for us to look at Tuesday’s results and be disappointed about some of the candidates who did not prevail in the primary but in truth we have much to celebrate!
Of the 42 races we took positions on in the primary election 36 of those races, or 85.71%, of races were settled in our favor. Now with 220,000 ballots yet to be counted this may change but (possibly in more in our favor) the reality is that for members of the San Diego Democrats for Equality we stuck to our motto: Our Members Make History!
Some of the highlights from that evening:
- A San Diego Democrats for Equality member has advanced into the General Election of every single San Diego City Council seat up this year: including Dr. Jen Campbell, Monica Montgomery, Tommy Hough, and Vivian Moreno.
- Club members Rep. Scott Peters, Ammar Campa-Najjar, Asm. Todd Gloria, Asm. Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher, and Trustee Kevin Beiser each won massive super majorities in their respective re-election bids.
- Club members James Elia, Sunday Gover, Tasha Boerner Horvath, each advanced into their respective state legislative General Election
- Club member Nathan Flecther came in first place in his bid for San Diego County Supervisor, District 4
- Club member Matt Brower won his primary to advance into the general election in Superior Court Judge, Office 37
- There were 19 club members who were on the ballot this primary, of which 14 have advanced to the general election!
I cannot overstate how big of a deal that is.
I am not even sure there is a Democratic club in California that can claim that many members who have achieved that level of success!
From reaching tens of thousands of voters, to registering thousands of new voters, from empowering a new generation of Young Democratic leadership, the San Diego Democrats for Equality have been at the forefront of Democratic Politics and now that the primary is over, we need to prepare our war chest for the coming fight in November.
It is Pride month and for those of you who remember, we moved to an annual membership cycle. This means that it is time to renew your membership! We have two fundraisers coming back in which you can do that:
- On June 16th, you can join us to celebrate DNC Member, SDCDP Chair Emeritus and DFE Member Emeritus Jess Durfee’s 60th birthday. All contribution will include your membership renewal for 2018! You can get tickets here!
- On July 12th, we will have our annual Pride Kick-off Fundraiser. 2018 renewed members can attend for the very affordable rate of $10! You can purchase tickets here.
Should you be feeling extra generous any contribution large or small is greatly appreciated as we approach the general election! Upgrade your membership to help us continue making history! You can do that here!
As we head towards the primary election we can afford no less than solidarity. The San Diego Democrats for Equality will work hard to reunify our party after the primaries. The hard work of de-escalation, outreach and reunification starts today.
I am in, I hope you are too!
Re-join, up your membership, contribute, the fight ahead is ours to win!
San Diego Democrats for Equality