Candidates and elected officials seeking an endorsement from San Diego Democrats for Equality are expected to have:
- A basic understanding of LGBTQ social justice issues, including:
- Why LGBTQ youth are considered a highly vulnerable underserved population.
- Why LGBTQ youth of color are overrepresented in the criminal justice system.
- An understanding of the route causes of transgender homelessness, abuse, and discrimination.
- Are able to respectfully communicate to transgender and non-gender binary individuals.
- Can speak to specific policies and initiatives that they intend to implement in their jurisdictions to better serve LGBTQ youth and address transgender homelessness and transphobia.
- Are prepared to develop and implement specific policies in their districts to address:
- Family Rejection & Homelessness
- Unsafe Schools & Unfair Disciplinary Policies
- Discriminatory Policing Strategies
- Reducing transphobia and work force discrimination
- Support safe youth transgender reentry, housing and economic empowerment programs
To assist candidates and elected officials develop informed policies, a number of resource guides on the intersection of racial and gender equality can be found below.