Democrats for Equality,
There has been a lot of LGBT news over the last couple of weeks:
- Lori Lightfoot was elected Mayor of Chicago (first African-American woman, and first LGBT Mayor).
- Satya Rhodes-Conway was elected Mayor of Madison, Wisconsin.
- Unfortunately/Sadly/Frustratingly, Trump’s dumb-ass ban on trans soldiers in the military went into effect last Friday. One bright spot: the California National Guard had come out in support of our trans soldiers months ago.
- Pete Buttigieg made it official — the South Bend (Indiana) Mayor is running for President, and by some polls could be a competitive candidate!
Speaking of presidential candidates, please mark your calendars for San Diego Pride (July 13 and 14), as our club will be hosting a Presidential Straw Poll at our booth to gauge interest of our Democratic presidential candidates. Then, at our July meeting after Pride (Thursday, July 18), we will try and make an endorsement for President.
And speaking of endorsements… our first round of 2020 endorsements is coming up at our club meeting THIS THURSDAY (April 18)!
We’ll be meeting at the Joyce Beers Community Center in Hillcrest (3900 Vermont Street, San Diego 92103) at 7:00pm.
We will hopefully make a friendly incumbent endorsement in San Diego City Council District 9, as well as make an endorsement for San Diego Mayor.
Also, we will get around to hearing some bylaw changes regarding the creation of “Regional Director” positions. I know we’ve been talking about this for some time. The new proposed language for you to review has been updated to refer to these as “Area Representatives.”
Also, we will start holding “opportunity drawings” at our club meetings. We’ve already collected a couple of items for club members to score towards the end of the meeting.
And… we are hoping to upgrade the food menu at our meetings a little bit. I love pizza as much as the next person (it’s my weakness), but we’re gonna try something different this month.
Last week, we opened ticket sales for our upcoming club event: Our Members Make History: A Celebration Brunch!
It will be held Saturday, May 4th from 10:00am to Noon. Our amazing VP for Political Action Susan Guinn and her spouse Denice Feldhaus will host at their home.
This will be an opportunity for us to celebrate all the work we have done over the last election cycle, and just come together and relax for a minute. When was the last time any of us went to brunch together? Well, now here’s your chance!
I personally paid for one of the $150 Host Committee spots because there’s this whole thing about leading by example.
We would like to thank our amazing Host Committee (thus far) for this event:
- Senate President pro Tempore Toni Atkins
- Assembly Majority Whip Todd Gloria
- San Diego City Council President Georgette Gomez
- San Diego City Councilmember Dr. Jen Campbell
- San Diego City Councilmember Chris Ward
- Carlsbad City Councilmember Cori Schumacher
- Chula Vista City Councilmember Steve Padilla
- Encinitas City Councilmember Joe Mosca
- Imperial Beach City Councilmember Mark West
- San Diego Community College Trustee Craig Milgrim
- County Democratic Party Chair Will Rodriguez-Kennedy
- Club President Ryan Trabuco
- Club Vice President for Resource Development Amy Kuhn
- Club Vice President for Political Action Susan Guinn
- Club President Emeritus Stephen Whitburn
- Club Member John Tedstrom
- Club Member Toni Duran
Whew! Lots of incredible names for our Host Committee! Thank you family (insert smile emoji here) (insert heart emoji here)
If you don’t see your name there, then we would love to have you be apart of this incredible event. Take a second and join as a member of our Host Committee for $150!
Or, feel free to purchase a general ticket for $25.
This is our club’s first fundraiser as your new Club President, and it’s apparently already a smashing success! We set out what I thought was an attainable fundraising goal of $2,500 — and we blew past that well over a week ago.
We are well north of $3,000 for this event, so let’s keep the ticket purchases coming!
Finally, our County Democratic Party’s annual Roosevelt Dinner is coming up for Saturday, May 11. This year’s theme is “Building Power for the People!”
Our club is putting together a nice basket for the silent auction item for attendees to bid on, and we are expected to have at least one table (maybe two) depending on how many club members purchase tickets to the dinner.
If you wanna sit with us, please purchase a ticket to the Roosevelt Dinner here. Also, be sure to list Dems 4 Equality under table affiliation.
Hot take: the vegan ravioli last year was pretty good!
Announcing my complimentary close to these communications,
San Diego Democrats for Equality