Democrats for Equality,
At last week’s meeting, we adopted a bylaw change to include Area Representatives onto our club’s Executive Board. This change fulfills an opportunity to diversify, and fully reflect representation from across San Diego County.
As our LGBT community’s political influence has grown from outside of just Central San Diego, we can now ensure that voices from North County, South County, and East County have a seat at the table.
This means we will be holding elections for these 4 new positions at our next club meeting on Thursday, May 16.
These four new Area Representative positions are:
- North Area Representative
- South Area Representative
- East Area Representative
- Metro West Area Representative
Aside from being a club member in good standing, you must live or reside in the respective area you wish to represent. Area Representatives shall provide assistance, guidance, and input to the club’s Executive Board regarding the club’s affairs, events, and meetings, as necessary.
(Ryan, what are the boundaries!?)
Great question! The area boundaries are specified in the San Diego County Democratic Party’s Policies & Procedures on page 13, Section VII regarding Areas and Caucuses.
Although, since you asked so nicely… and I’m feeling generous… I’ll spell out the boundaries below by zipcodes:
- The North Area includes 92003, 92007, 92008, 92009, 92010, 92011, 92014, 92024, 92025, 92026, 92027, 92028, 92029, 92054, 92055, 92056, 92057, 92058, 92059, 92060, 92061, 92064, 92067, 92069, 92075, 92078, 92081, 92082, 92083, 92084, 92091, 92096, 92127, 92128, 92129, 92130, 92672
- The South Area includes 91902, 91910, 91911, 91913, 91914, 91915, 91932, 91950, 92113, 92114, 92118, 92135, 92136, 92139, 92154, 92155, 92173
- The East Area includes 91901, 91905, 91906, 91916, 91917, 91931, 91934, 91935, 91941, 91942, 91945, 91948, 91962, 91963, 91977, 91978, 91980, 92004, 92019, 92020, 92021, 92036, 92040, 92065, 92066, 92070, 92071, 92086
- The Metro West Area includes 92037, 92038, 92092, 92093, 92101, 92102, 92103, 92104, 92105, 92106, 92107, 92108, 92109, 92110, 92111, 92115, 92116, 92117, 92119, 92120, 92121, 92122, 92123, 92124, 92126, 92131, 92134, 92140, 92145, 92147
If you are interested, or know a club member who may be interested, or have any questions about running for these positions, please e-mail me firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to save the date for the meeting! Happy elections!
Speaking of elections… in case you missed it, we issued our first 2020 endorsements at our last club meeting!
We are proud to have endorsed Council President Georgette Gomez for re-election to the San Diego City Council in District 9!
As you can see from the event flyer above, she is holding a campaign kick-off fundraiser this Saturday, April 27 from 3pm to 5pm. Address provided upon RSVP.
And, we are also proud to have endorsed Todd Gloria for San Diego Mayor!
I mentioned in our club’s announcement, our endorsement of Todd Gloria for Mayor stands as a testament to our club’s history and growth.
So many of you have often repeated our club’s history… from the early days of closed meetings inside various living rooms for fear of being outed, to our legendary trailblazers like Al Best, Neil Good, Christine Kehoe, and Toni Atkins.
In this upcoming, historic election for Mayor, it will be up to us to help make the case that Todd Gloria is the right leader for this moment in history.
This is happening in less than two weeks! Join us for Our Members Make History: A Celebration Brunch!
It will be held Saturday, May 4th from 10:00am to Noon. Our amazing VP for Political Action Susan Guinn and her spouse Denice Feldhaus will host at their home.
This will be an opportunity for us to celebrate all the work we have done over the last election cycle, and just come together and relax for a minute. When was the last time any of us went to brunch together? Well, now here’s your chance!
I personally paid for one of the $150 Host Committee spots because there’s this whole thing about leading by example.
We would like to thank our amazing Host Committee (thus far) for this event:
- Senate President pro Tempore Toni Atkins
- Assembly Majority Whip Todd Gloria
- San Diego City Council President Georgette Gomez
- San Diego City Councilmember Dr. Jen Campbell
- San Diego City Councilmember Chris Ward
- Carlsbad City Councilmember Cori Schumacher
- Chula Vista City Councilmember Steve Padilla
- Encinitas City Councilmember Joe Mosca
- Imperial Beach City Councilmember Mark West
- San Diego Community College Trustee Craig Milgrim
- County Democratic Party Chair Will Rodriguez-Kennedy
- Club President Ryan Trabuco
- Club Vice President for Resource Development Amy Kuhn
- Club Vice President for Political Action Susan Guinn
- Club President Emeritus Doug Case
- Club President Emeritus Stephen Whitburn
- Club Member John Tedstrom
- Club Member Toni Duran
Whew! Lots of incredible names for our Host Committee! Thank you family (insert smile emoji here) (insert heart emoji here)
If you don’t see your name there, then we would love to have you be apart of this incredible event. Take a second and join as a member of our Host Committee for $150!
Or, feel free to purchase a general ticket for $25.
This is our club’s first fundraiser as your new Club President, and it’s apparently already a smashing success! We set out what I thought was an attainable fundraising goal of $2,500 — and we blew past that well over a week ago.
We are well north of $3,000 for this event, so let’s keep the ticket purchases coming!
Finally, our County Democratic Party’s annual Roosevelt Dinner is coming up for Saturday, May 11. This year’s theme is “Building Power for the People!”
Our club is putting together a nice basket for the silent auction item for attendees to bid on, and we are expected to have at least one table (maybe two) depending on how many club members purchase tickets to the dinner.
If you wanna sit with us, please purchase a ticket to the Roosevelt Dinner here. Also, be sure to list Dems 4 Equality under table affiliation.
Hot take: the vegan ravioli last year was pretty good!
Announcing my complimentary close to these e-mails,
San Diego Democrats for Equality